On Feb 20, 2009, at 6:47 PM, Al wrote:

>> What Jim said. Rock solid and I'm getting my gmail account on three
>> different macs and an iPod...
>>

> Thanks guys.  With IMAP, can I still download all the mail in one
> transaction from all accounts into my Apple Mail Inbox?

Yes, it's just another account to Mail.

The difference between IMAP and POP is the location of the primary
mail storage, that is where your 'Mail' lives.

Lets use GMail as an example.

With a POP account, it lives on your computer. You can leave the mail
on the server for access by another computer, or webmail, but it is
recognized as a separate copy. If you connect via the web version of
Gmail, and delete a message form your inbox, the copy in your computer
is NOT deleted.

With an IMAP account it lives on the server. You can have a local copy
cached on your computer, mainly for offline use, (see the Advanced
settings for the IMAP account) but the official one is the one on the
server. This means that if you delete an email from any computer
looking at your IMAP inbox, the next time one of the other computers
connects it will be gone AND the local cached copy will also be deleted.

The advantage is that ALL mail clients that connect to your account
always look at all your mail, there's never an issue of 'Oh crap, that
email is on my desktop at home, so I cannot get to it here with my
laptop.'

Where I work we have LOTS of people with 3 or more computers that they
use (Desktop at work, desktop at home, laptop(s) for the road,
Blackberries, iPhones, Treo's, etc etc etc) and not all are amenable
to using a web-based mail client.

With an IMAP account you're never really away from all your mail,
unless you cannot get to the internet.

We started with IMAP when we set up our first email server even though
the state of the client art was less than optimal (in 1994, basically,
Netscape 4 was it, I must have tried 10 or 15 phenomenally ugly,
poorly laid out, poorly working standalone email clients, none worked
as well as Netscape. To this day we still use a mail client derived
from that line, only it's Thunderbird, now) we went with IMAP because
the hassles of juggling three computers and one POP account just
wasn't practical.

For an academic or business environment it's ideal..email represents a
vital enterprise data store, so having email centralized is vastly
superior from a data backup and retention point of view.

Anyone using a web-based email client is doing essentially the same
thing, it's just that using IMAP lets you use real email clients as
well.

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD