Bruce:

Thanks for your clear explanation.  It is much better than the
description at the Gmail web site.  They probably assume that all
users already know.

On Feb 21, 1:34 pm, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
wrote:

> With a POP account, it lives on your computer. You can leave the mail
> on the server for access by another computer, or webmail, but it is
> recognized as a separate copy. If you connect via the web version of
> Gmail, and delete a message form your inbox, the copy in your computer
> is NOT deleted.

Also, Apple Mail allows e-mail on the server in POP mode to stay there
a maximum of one month.  After the time limit, at least with Cox
Communications, it is gone when the server's management gets around to
it.  But I can safeguard content on my hard drive and backup media for
as many years as I want.

> With an IMAP account it lives on the server. You can have a local copy
> cached on your computer, mainly for offline use, (see the Advanced
> settings for the IMAP account) but the official one is the one on the
> server. This means that if you delete an email from any computer
> looking at your IMAP inbox, the next time one of the other computers
> connects it will be gone AND the local cached copy will also be deleted.

Does this include deleting copies that I might drag into my own folder
under "On My Mac"?

If so, to permanently archive on my hard drive, I could fake
"Forwarding" to no address and then drag that into my mail folder, or
do a Save As to somewhere in the Documents folder.

> With an IMAP account you're never really away from all your mail,
> unless you cannot get to the internet.

In practice, for consumer level accounts, what is the longevity of
IMAP server contents, months? years?  On termination of active account
by either party?  GB size limits?

Thanks,
Al Poulin