On 10-10-06 9:10 AM, Dan wrote:
These are HFS+ formatted volumes, or ?

While logged into your administrator account, do a get info on the volumes. Open the Ownership & Permissions section then the Details area. Click on the padlock to unlock the settings. Then make sure you're the owner and that you have Read+Write permissions. (Group and Others' settings won't matter unless you're using a different account from which to access the volumes.)

If that doesn't fix things, then show us the output of this command, issued in Terminal:

ls -al /Volumes/
The firewired hard drive has the GUID partition.

Command+I shows that i have "Custom access". When I tried to change those settings they revert to "Custom access". I ticked on the "Ignore ownership on this volume" but still locked out.

I have never used "Terminal" because the name in itself strikes fear in me because as you can see i can do damage to hard drives on my own: just exactly what do i do to use Terminal, please?