On 2010/10/07 19:20, gifutiger wrote:
So what you've done is made all files and application available to all
users that can log into your platform.

If you were unable to make changes in the "get info" window then you
were not logged in as the platform owner.
As the owner has all privileges.

Or sometime you may not be able to make direct changes but need to
either add or delete one or more of those listed in the ownership
listing. If your log-in name isn't listed then you need to touch the +
button and add your name. If you are able to unlock the lock then you
should have privileges to add users.

The important thing is to make the "Ownership" of the locked disks the
same as the disk that you are logged as that is your main access
point.

My understanding is that ACLs are created when you change permissions on a given file or folder to something other than standard or what the receipt for said item specifies. AFAIK removing all ACLs resets permissions to 'stock.'

There was a glitch of some sort, everything was fine and all of a sudden I couldn't write to the top level folders in ~. The get info windows for all folders at the top level of ~ showed either "You can read & write" or "Custom permissions" (which I never assigned). That's it.

*No list of users and permissions for each. No way to select different permissions for said item or add & remove users from the permissions list*

And permissions repair did nothing except take about an hour or two because of hundreds (thousands?) of ACLs. Removing ACLs was the last option I could find.

This was in an Admin account. The only thing unusual about my setup is that the user folder is on a separate drive from the OS, necessitated by lack of a drive big enough for both or funds to acquire such a drive.

Tina

--

iMac 20" USB 2, 1.25 GHz G4, 2 GB RAM, GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 64 MB DDR
Power Mac June 04, 2 GHz G5 DP, 8 GB RAM, GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL 256 MB