On 2010/10/06 07:49, Walter Sheluk wrote:
Both of my External FireWire Drives were powered on and their icon's
were on the desktop ( iMac/3.06GHz/Snow Leopard ) when i decided for
some unknown reason to eject ( Command + I ) both drives to do a apple
software update/installation.

I just experienced something very similar only it wasn't my external drives who's permissions got munged but my user folders - Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Dropbox, etc… Strangely Get Info yielded either "You can read & write" or "You have custom permissions" but no way to change them in the get info window, and the ones that were allegedly read write permissions would not let me actually write anything to the folder.

The custom permissions message was my tip off. I googled 'remove acl leopard' or something to that effect (ACL= access control list) and removed all acl's via Terminal. This corrected my permissions problem, but not until I had reboot.

FWIW, YMMV, ad nauseam.

Tina

--

iMac 20" USB 2, 1.25 GHz G4, 2 GB RAM, GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 64 MB DDR
Power Mac June 04, 2 GHz G5 DP, 8 GB RAM, GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL 256 MB