Maybe so, but ya gotta stay Flossy.

I am not familiar with your model. But is a USB 3.0 connection just as
viable a swap? Seems USB 2 is plenty fast and comparable to FW800.
USB 3.0 enclosures  might be less money. Especially on tigerdirect.

Sometimes you might not be familiar with the name but you can do a lot of
searching online for it. Problem parts will have lots of forum threads
unresolved.

Also have you looked at your drive specs?

How about this. Depending on your drive physical foot print and connector
type have you thought about getting a conversion adapter and mounting it as
the main drive? OWC used to sell adapters in the old days for what I was
working on.

As far as keeping this machine viable for your gaming online those days are
in the hands of Apple and the way they drive new sales with abandoning
hardware support. And new tech, with the way they keep upping the candy
offered but you need more protocol resources. They may also phase out the
old games you like.

Adrian D'Alessio aka; Fluxstringer
fluxstrin...@gmail.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fluxstreamcommunication/
http://www.facebook.com/FluxStringer
https://www.youtube.com/user/fluxstringer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/fluxstreamcommunications

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Eric B. Volker <evol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Adrian, if I start listening to Fergie, does that mean Apple will hire me
> as an executive?
>
> But seriously, I would still need a Firewire 800 enclosure. If I go to a
> trusted source, like OWC, they cost $60 - $70 new. I’ve seen cheap ones on
> eBay for ~$30. Would it be safe to use a no-name brand for this?
>
> > On May 6, 2016, at 6:02 AM, GMail Valter Psicof <valter.psi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I¹m running El Capitan. I¹m very diligent about running the latest OS
> and
> >> security patches. I don¹t want to be a victim.
> > As long as your OS is still supported and updated (10.9 Maverick still
> is),
> > you're on the safe side. Besides, running an old OS is often even safer,
> > since most hacks are written for recent OS versions.
> >
> > IMO, always running the latest OS version "just because Apple said so" is
> > silly.
> > Newer OS versions often bring slow down, new glitches, software
> > incompatibilities, worse user-interface, and so on. Unless there's a real
> > need, I stay with the OS that works best.
> > "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ;-)
> As far as running a fully patched OS, you’re right that I’d have security
> updates. However, I believe Apple is about to release a new OS fairly
> shortly, which will leave Mavericks (10.9) out in the cold with no updates.
> That would leave me with Yosemite, which I don’t think would offer that
> much performance benefit over El Capitan. Plus I’d have to wipe the
> machine, and thanks to the 2TB drive, I don’t have anything else to back it
> up to.
> >
> > For gaming, I'm afraid that an SSD wouldn't offer you much value.
> > On average, gaming benefits - in descending order - from:
> > - GPU speed
> > - CPU speed
> > - Ram available
> > - And, in some kind of games, from mass storage speed (but not that
> much).
> >
> > With a Radeon 2600 HD Pro GPU 256 MB (I think), I'm afraid your iMac
> cannot
> > be helped much for gaming - unless you're talking about relatively old
> > games.
> You’re right about the 2600 Pro being old and slow. Nonetheless, I’ve
> gotten several relatively recent games like Xcom, Shadowrun and Divinity:
> Original Sin to run fairly smoothly on it. I have to dial the settings back
> to bare minimum, or even edit config files by hand, but I have gotten them
> to run. What I’d like is a solution to those frustrating beachballs. That’s
> where the SSD comes in.
>
> Eric

> ---
> "iMac Group" group.
> email to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.