I was not familiar with your model. I thought maybe it had a PCI slot
behind a trap door.
If you have had it for a while I am rather surprised you do not have the
disassembly down to a fast routine.

My experience has been that if I was going to keep an old machine going I
had to learn to work on it. I hate opening laptops but I will do it rather
than pay hundreds.

A set of step by step diagrams is a good thing to have.
But I understand the reluctance.
A power screw driver and some bits makes it a lot easier.

Casually looking at 2.4 Core 2 says it had a 7200 rpm drive.
You put a huge  5400 rpm drive in it. 2 bottle necks right there if that is
the case.

Some partitioning into a new boot volume with smaller space, might that
help ?

A 7200 or 10k rpm drive from the swap list  is probably not much on LEM
swap. Or look for an old mac at Goodwill and negotiate a price  to score
parts.

Finding an FW 800 drive case should not be hard.

Adrian D'Alessio aka; Fluxstringer
fluxstrin...@gmail.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fluxstreamcommunication/
http://www.facebook.com/FluxStringer
https://www.youtube.com/user/fluxstringer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/fluxstreamcommunications

On Fri, May 6, 2016 at 7:30 PM, Eric B. Volker <evol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On May 6, 2016, at 4:01 PM, W.Adrian D'Alessio <fluxstrin...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Maybe so, but ya gotta stay Flossy.
> >
> > I am not familiar with your model. But is a USB 3.0 connection just as
> viable a swap? Seems USB 2 is plenty fast and comparable to FW800.
> > USB 3.0 enclosures  might be less money. Especially on tiger direct.
>
> Sadly, my Mac has no USB 3.0 ports. It does however have USB 2 and a
> single Firewire 800 port. Bandwidth is one reason I’d prefer the FW800
> port; USB2 tops out at about 30mb/s, whereas FW800 gets almost 80mb/s.
> Firewire also taxes the CPU less, and my CPU can’t take much stress.
>

> > Sometimes you might not be familiar with the name but you can do a lot
> of searching online for it. Problem parts will have lots of forum threads
> unresolved.
> >
> > Also have you looked at your drive specs?
> >
> > How about this. Depending on your drive physical foot print and
> connector type have you thought about getting a conversion adapter and
> mounting it as the main drive? OWC used to sell adapters in the old days
> for what I was working on.
> >

> I have done a hard drive replacement on an iMac before, and it was no
> picnic. I’d rather avoid if it I can, even if it means I wouldn’t reap full
> SSD benefits.
>
> > As far as keeping this machine viable for your gaming online those days
> are in the hands of Apple and the way they drive new sales with abandoning
> hardware support. And new tech, with the way they keep upping the candy
> offered but you need more protocol resources. They may also phase out the
> old games you like.
> >
> Eye candy is nice, but I have an aging yet decent gaming PC for that
> purpose. Why do I still game on this old Mac? I just generally prefer the
> OS X (or is it MacOS once again?) experience, even if I can’t afford the
> latest and greatest. And if I get really desperate, I can always stream
> Steam games to the Mac. Even after all these years, it does have nice big
> screen that’s in my preferred aspect ratio, 16:10.
>
> Eric

> ---
> "iMac Group" group.
> email to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.