I've had to deal with this same misbehaving IMAP client.

The good news is that if you do set your maildir as an absolute path the client will put mail it sends into "Sent" and stuff you trash into "Trash".

The bad news is that although it does now list all your other mailboxen via the little triangle in the Mail Account list.. they are NOT nested nor even alphabetized! This makes it totally useless for anything but INBOX for fetching. I sent them a trace of their misbehavior months ago.....maybe you can get their attention, Thomas.