On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Volker Schwicking wrote:
Obviously someone named Tom from Alcatel Lucent created a patch that
makes uw-imap use poll() instead of select() about 2 years ago.
Mark, did you ever receive that patch mentioned? Do you still have it?

Changing select() to poll() in the UW IMAP distribution was a non-starter. There were -- and still are -- sites that use UW IMAP on platforms that do not have a poll() call.

Now, kewl d00dz may not care about those platforms.  But I did.  I had to.

It staggers me that you would even think of applying a patch of this complexity rather than the ONE LINE change to a system include file.

If, as you imply, you don't know much about the C programming language and thus have no way to audit the patch, it is even more staggering.

Apparently, it does not suffice to tell people like you what you need to know in order to work out the solution. Instead, you have to have the solution spelled out for you in step-by-step detail. Very well. Here is the solution:

[1] Find the following two system include files:
        /usr/include/bits/typesizes.h
        /usr/include/bits/posix_types.h

[2] In each of those files, locate the line that reads:
        #define __FD_SETSIZE    1024

[3] Change that line in each file so that it reads:
        #define __FD_SETSIZE    8192

[4] File a report with the developers of glibc that this change needs to be made.

[5] Rebuild the software.

[6] Congratulate yourself for being a Meisterhacker.

[7] Drink beer.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc