Thank you all for your nice responses and opinion.

Dear Ritesh, first of all I am not against publishing in intl. journals. The
context here is very specific, about the relevance....and of course its my
personal opinion only. Imagine a new species discovered in Africa or Europe
getting published in an Indian journal. It may not be wrong....but what
about the relevancy here. It may be searcheable in those journals, but what
about accessible of full articles. And these impact factors are just to
compare the efficiency of journals and not to judge the capability or
knowledge of the author or the institution, i guess. How the impact factors
matter in the field of taxonomy in India. I understand its importance in
other fields such as chemistry etc. Impact factor is mainly based on number
of documents and number of citable items published in a particular journal.
If all  scientists want to publish their high quality papers in foreign
journals, how Indian journals will get citations and impact factors? Leave
alone the money part... Is it not important what we publish...rather than
where we publish?!...

Thanks Manudev ji for taking this in a right spirit, and also for sharing
your experience. Best wishes for all your future publications. [Please check
with the journal's policy before circulating / sharing the pdf files. If it
allows, I would like to read the paper, as I have published a new sp in
Eriocaulon, too:) ].

Dear Pankaj, you are right. Sadly, two of my articles sent to one of the
most reputed journals in India, were accepted for publication in 2005 and
2006 respectively, but they are not yet published. But the happy news is
that the authorities are coming forward to make their journal online with
free access to full articles. We have best examples for that. Hope to see
much more positive developments in our Indian taxonomic journals par with
their foreign counterparts.

Thanks Usha ji, for supporting my view and also adding to the discussion.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

<<330.gif>>