Good to hear from you again George.

Manson Northwest Webster-Home of the Cougars!
Brad Kruse          ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._
Tech. Coord.         `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)
1601 15th St.        (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'
Manson, IA 50563    _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'
712-469-3919       (li),'  ((!.-'
Fax 712-469-3131

>>> "George Tuttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 2/15/2008 1:14 PM >>>
Lance,

    The answer is to grow more hair!!!! You will be pulling out more hair as
long as you are supplying technology to students and teachers. When I started
working with computers in 1981, Apple II+ computers replaced the DEC terminals
that we were using to teach programming. Many of you have not written a line of
code because our whole system has changed in 25 years. The first word
processors were code editors. For many years I taught computer classes
involving the use of word processors, databases, and spread sheets. Did I know
what I was doing, probably not. I was the "computer" teacher. It took some
convincing to get our business teachers to throw out the Selectrics and go with
the new technology. Some of you may remember the long struggle we had to get
the staff to use computers. Since then, the new technologies have moved into
every aspect of education, including evaluation and record-keeping. We went
out, chased the car, caught it, and now don't know what to do with it.
    To me, if a teacher asks to have some old computers in the back of the
room, isn't that what you want? They're probably trying to implement one of
your school board's long term goals, incorporating technology into the
curriculum. The real problem is that most tech person's do not have enough time
to keep your high-tech network systems up and running and at the same time,
support the class room teacher.
    Since retiring in June I've been doing the computer tech work for our local
catholic school. We have a very simple network that requires little or no
support so I have the time to help class room teachers. I was able to focus
again on the real reason for technology in school, aiding the education of
students by helping the faculty. For a number of years I got lost in the
glitziness of the emerging technologies and thought that the latest and
greatest was the most important to education. Since I was a class room teacher
for many years before my "techie" life, it has been easier for me to go back
and re-assess the application of technology in education. As a techie, I tried
to have the technology dog wag its education tail rather than vice-versa.
    Does having the latest and greatest make your school a success. Probably
not. Does NOT having the latest and greatest make your school a failure.
Probably not. What makes a school a success is how the application of
technology is used to affect student outcomes. Several years ago, I attended a
meeting where a large school district in South Dakota gave a laptop to each of
their high school students to use. When asked to show how this had a positive
impact on educational results, he moved on to another topic. Later on he did
say that the students really liked having their own laptops. Give me one and I
will give you the same answer.
    This is my venting. There's an old proverb: Observe history or you're
doomed to repeat it.

George