With regards to user interfaces for email itself, I'd like to mention that
there are many hybrids out there that work for many communities. I'm not
proposing this in any way. I'm quite happy for PHP to use mailing lists, and
personally would recommend improving the existing web interface, and to perhaps
prepare an FAQ/tips-n-tricks to get started, such as setting up the emails to
go into a folder and linking to how to do this with popular email
providers/apps.

To mention a few in case there is interest in migrating instead of improving:

* Mailman. Probably the most of not one of the most popular softwares to manage
mailing lists at scale (W3C, Curl, Python, Wikimedia, etc.). The latest
version, Mailman3 features the "Hyperkitty", which presents the archive in an
interactive read-write fashion rather than merely read-only. Effectively making
it feel like a forum, discussion board, Discourse, etc from the web UI. This
doesn't affect the backend, which remains fully email-based.

* Topicbox. From the folks at Fastmail, this is marketed as a better interface
for business/team email (they don't call it a "mailing list" or a "forum"), but
it is effectively a mailing list server with a forum interface allowing you to
create threads and reply from either your email app, or from the web interface.
This one feels quite a bit more mature and polished than Hyperkitty and
provides a less leaky abstraction (e.g. doesn't feel like a shim over top of
email).

* Google Groups. This is not freely licensed software obviously, but it is
probably the second most common way to manage mailing lists at scale. It has a
solid web interface where you can participate fully, including to turn off your
own personal "email" side of things if you prefer not to be notified through
there, or you can choose to sign up with digests where you might get a weekly
summary as a way to be nudged back in. This is especially handy for people who
do like email as a way to be notified, but perhaps have nothing else in their
life using Google Groups so they're not likely to see messages there unless
something links them there, which the weekly digets would accomplish.

* Discourse. This is effectively the inverse of Google Groups and least like a
"real" mailing list. I'd describe Discourse as a web discussion forum first,
and mailing list second. Afaik it does offer full participation via email. By
default you only get notified of replies to threads you've opted into to
subscribing to but you can subscribe to a whole category/subforum for new
threads, and can reply-by-email to post comments without using their web app.

Probably the most incremental step (after improving) is Mailman, assuming an
import of the archive is possible with URL-compatible redirects. Again, I'm not
proposing this, but might as well have it out there as a less bad option in
case people are drawn to migrating.

-- Timo