On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 14:48:28 -0700, Andrei Zmievski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> And I think that we shouldn't, since it removes a big incentive for
> people to move to PHP 6.
I would be inclined to agree as well.

> Really, we need to get folks to use Unicode natively as much as
> possible. It is the way of the future, and not some "obscure
> feature", as some here have suggested.
Quite right. In fact those whom choose to /not/ implement it will be missing a
large portion of the internet. Really, great strides have been taken in almost
every other area; DNS, HTTPd, SMTP, IMAP, etc... to accommodate UTF. In fact,
at the current rate of development/adoption it seems unlikely that applications
will build/run /without/ UTF support. So why wouldn't/shouldn't PHP also support
it by default.

In short; I quite agree, UTF is not some novel addition - but rather;
a necessary feature.