Am 20.12.2007 um 19:25 schrieb Lukas Kahwe Smith:

So maybe enlighten me what the purpose of the CLA is.

The purpose is that a project/company/whoever has written confirmation that the developer who contributes something gives the respective entity full permission and license on copyright and, should he own any that cover the contribution, patents.

My understand is that with all contributions done under a CLA it becomes fairly easy for all users of the code to simply point anyone sueing to the relevant contributor. The given code can be replaced and life goes on except for the contributor. Without a CLA is becomes much harder for the various users to pull their head out of things as easily, which means they will have a much greater interest in getting the case dismissed entirely.

No, that is not correct. With and without a CLA, the contributor who commits something on which Foo, Inc. holds a patent, is the originator of the patent breach. A CLA does not change that, nor protect from that. The patent holder can, with and without the CLA, still sue both you and the project you made the contribution to.

David