On 21.12.2007, at 19:38, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:

Sounds to me like we should stop accepting this legal BS. Then they will only be able to pay for a nice little house if they write understandable stuff or nothing is they are unwilling to adapt to the demands of their customers.

It is quite impossible to write anything understandable for the person that refuses to understand. Yes, legal stuff can be complicated for the outsider - as programming stuff can be complicated for the outsider. But as program design can be explained in relatively simple terms, so in many cases can the legal stuff - of course, in both cases some tiny details might get omitted, but you'd get the general picture. Only thing needed for this is willingness to actually listen. I understand that some here are so averted by the idea of the CLA itself that they are not willing even to listen what that dreaded CLA is. I get this, but it would be a hypocrisy to blame it on "not understandable stuff" if one has no intention to understand anything at the first place, only to refuse it.

I believe I am really trying to give this all a decently open minded chance. I also think that I am somewhat capable of reading english and I even had some exposure to law courses in university. Yet I do not think that the language is clear in the Apache CLA. So I must admit I am hesitant to believe anyone that claims to know what the CLA means without acknowledging that the text indeed is hard to understand and without getting a reasonably in-depth dissection of the text.

As such I appreciate your interpretation (as well as David's), but I take both with a huge grain of salt.

regards,
Lukas