On 05/02/2008, Tomi Kaistila <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > No one seems to have answered my point that actually relying on type
> > juggling for anything other than string concatenation is asking for a
> > problem.
> Probably because there isn't a way to answer that point. Anyone who does would
> be laughed out of the barn. Like I told Sam just few minutes ago, the fact is
> that no matter how wonderful PHP's juggling is, there is still a reason why
> we have different data types. If it was all the same we wouldn't need
> integer, float, et cetera. But we do have them and we do need them.

I think I've failed to be understood.

If you are internally processing say a float, you will use a float in
the format of $float = 3.1415; sort of thing, not $float = "3.1415";
(which is valid but different).

We are all told that user input data is dangerous. So we protect
ourselves by filtering in some way. One way is to cast variables to
their correct type.

My point is that once you are working on scalar data internally, the
type rarely changes. Type juggling is not actually used. With the
exception of string concatenation, automatic type juggling doesn't
seem to be used.

So, having an interface into a library which says I need that
parameter as an integer and having php enforce it, sounds like a
winner to me. I write less type checking code.

> The whole objection against this feature was never about the technical merits
> of it. It was just simply about some people saying "I don't like it" and thus
> concluding that it should not be added.
>

> Tomi Kaistila
> PHP Developer
>
> --