Tomi Kaistila wrote:
No one seems to have answered my point that actually relying on type
juggling for anything other than string concatenation is asking for a
problem.
Probably because there isn't a way to answer that point. Anyone who does would be laughed out of the barn. Like I told Sam just few minutes ago, the fact is that no matter how wonderful PHP's juggling is, there is still a reason why we have different data types. If it was all the same we wouldn't need integer, float, et cetera. But we do have them and we do need them.

The whole objection against this feature was never about the technical merits of it. It was just simply about some people saying "I don't like it" and thus concluding that it should not be added.

Well spoken.

Technically, I'm playing around in my spare time with many things no one ever needs, so also create another component library from scratch etc. but right from the start with Sam's patch and all I gotta say is: damn, I love it.

It saves my day because it saves me time. It helped me detecting errors right ahead before they would creep up sometimes later without having to do much type checking myself, just using the scalar hint just helped a lot.

I'm a documentation freak and it also speeds up my PHPDOC documentation process, I trimmed my editor already to understand the scalar hints and pre-fill PHPDOC accordingly.

Hope this doesn't sound like marketing blabla. I'm just so happy with it.

- Markus