Hello Sebastian,

Saturday, July 26, 2008, 3:59:13 PM, you wrote:

> Rasmus Lerdorf schrieb:
>>>

>>> However I think we should provide the infrastructure for developers to
>>> setup a dvcs. I dont know if we want to standardize on a specific one.
>>> But collaboration on exterimental stuff that requires a dvcs should be
>>> possible on php.net servers.
>>
>> What do you mean by that?  hgsvn and git-svn don't need any server-side
>> support to enable you to work locally and do local git or hg checkins
>> and then sync to the central svn repository when you are ready.
>>
>> -Rasmus

> It should not be a question of product, but of workflow. An example: A
> lot of time is needed when porting bugfixes from a stable branch to the
> development branch and vice versa. In my experience a DVCS reduces this
> time immense. PHP-SRC consists of a lot of branches (and tags) and the
> goal should be to port code as easy as possible between different branches.

Distributed has nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing to do with this.

Distributed means branches, versions and snapshots and personal nonsense
are all on different machines and then one of them gets to be an official
version repository.

That is not in the slightest way compatible with PHP development.

However SVN allows branching and starting with version 1.5 it allows to do
merging across branches and that is what we need. A central repository were
changes can easily be merged from one branch to another.

And as the past months have shown we get more and more bigger taks where
people would like to have there own repositories to play around with and
then merge back. This can easily be done with a bunch of tools bridged to
the one central SVN repository.

We are not Linux with a combined staged and a role/respsonsability model
where even branches are taken from finalized stages to allow branding or
modification for proprietary stuff.

PHP has a flat culture in which everything gets discussed in one way or the
other (mail, irc, phone, live). And all the work is done in a single
central repository.

> Using a DVCS which is based on a direct acyclic graph (short DAG) can
> change the way you work with a VCS. Probably most of you who have worked
> with a DVCS know the technique of DaggyFixing
> (http://www.venge.net/mtn-wiki/DaggyFixes). Basically it means that a
> Bugfix is not committed to the revision where it is fixed, instead the
> Bugfix Graph is inserted right after the feature where the problem
> occurred and then the merge is propagated to the head revision.

> If you take SVN and export it locally to a DVCS, then do some coding and
> reimport your patches, this advantages are probably lost (though I have
> to admit that I never tried it).

> Sebastian

Best regards,
 Marcus