On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Steph Fox <st...@php.net> wrote:
>> IMHO listing new functions is useful - there could be a name collision
>> with
>> a function in users code (I know it is improbable, because the functions
>> are
>> named extname_funcname, but still possible)
>
> Improbable indeed. The nearest we ever came to that was with the Date class
> (because PEAR already had a Date class - nobody else complained, mind.)
> Maybe it would be best to list any new core PHP functions and mention
> prefixes used by any new extensions.

> The 5.2 guide lists 'new optional parameters' too. I honestly don't see how
> the existence of a new optional parameter can possibly impact existing code;
> ergo, it has no place in an upgrade guide.

An upgrade is not only about problems, it is also about solutions. A
kind of tutorial on how to use all the changes in a given release in
your applications. It often helps to clean codes, remove work 'round,
etc. An upgrade guide is often the document many will read, and not
the NEWS file, which is not that useful in the current format.

So yes, we should keep as much info as we can in the guide, include
listing of new functions, constants or classes.

Cheers,
--
Pierre

http://blog.thepimp.net | http://www.libgd.org