An upgrade is not only about problems, it is also about solutions.

You need a problem before providing a solution. Really.

kind of tutorial on how to use all the changes in a given release in
your applications. It often helps to clean codes, remove work 'round,
etc. An upgrade guide is often the document many will read, and not
the NEWS file, which is not that useful in the current format.

They won't read it if it's too darn long :)

Please go back to the original discussion about the purpose of this guide. It was aimed primarily at sysadmins. If we turn it into a prettier version of NEWS or release notes, all it means is we still need an upgrade file for sysadmins. So in response to Hannes' earlier question, yes I think these should be two separate documents - one for end users in the manual, one for sysadmins in the src. And no I don't mind writing both, I just want to be very clear about their purpose.

- Steph