Hi!

- a call to vote is easily drowned out on the ML with all the noise

I read the same ML as you do :) Using threaded email client it is very easy to separate new threads and see calls for votes. Also, voting on ML does not solve the "drowning out" problem, it makes it worse as about 80% of the people in given vote in a given moment can't say what they are/supposed to be voting for, is discussion still ongoing and what's the consensus, if any.

- editting votes on a wiki can too easily be manipulated (I could just
   change your votes, and there would be no trail).

Votes are public, if you see somebody edited it you'd notice. As editing could be done only by admins (if I understand correctly, same guys having root on pretty much all PHP infrastructure) if a plugin is used (see below) I don't think it's a big concern.

And IMO, those two things should be sorted out before we "decide" to do
votes by editting some page on some wiki.

docuwiki has voting plugins for that purpose, editing some page is not the only way. For example: http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:doodle2
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/