> Currently - A lot of ISP's are 'stuck' with PHP5.2 or earlier simply

  I don't know if this is really the case.  I work in this industry, and most
of the small to mid hosting company's use cPanel or Plesk, and both include PHP
5.3.  I've personally seen very few issues moving from older PHP 5.x versions
to PHP 5.3 (over about 2,000 sites, mainly small business sites).  And Plesk
and cPanel do not appear to have perpetual licenses available anymore, so ISPs
that use these products are basically forced to update at minimum once a year,
when their license expires.  I guess they could still technically skip
upgrades, when they are prompted, but major updates are available to them.

  A real issue is RHEL (and CentOS).  RHEL locks the PHP major version to
whatever it is when they release their major version.  But they also maintain
their own patches, and release their own updates, which slightly makes up for
it.  So RHEL6 will have whatever PHP that was around, then, which I hope is PHP
5.3 (I don't have any RHEL6 servers yet).  So RHEL6 will always be PHP5.3.x
based.

  But the update pipeline is still a few months, so it is important that each
release is a good release.  Plus, don't worry about the Non-Updating ISP.  That
is less of an issue that it once was.

Tom