On 06/06/11 17:48, Tom Samplonius wrote:
>> Currently - A lot of ISP's are 'stuck' with PHP5.2 or earlier simply
>   I don't know if this is really the case.  I work in this industry, and most
> of the small to mid hosting company's use cPanel or Plesk, and both include
> PHP 5.3.  I've personally seen very few issues moving from older PHP 5.x
> versions to PHP 5.3 (over about 2,000 sites, mainly small business sites).
> And Plesk and cPanel do not appear to have perpetual licenses available
> anymore, so ISPs that use these products are basically forced to update at
> minimum once a year, when their license expires.  I guess they could still
> technically skip upgrades, when they are prompted, but major updates are
> available to them.
>
>   A real issue is RHEL (and CentOS).  RHEL locks the PHP major version to
> whatever it is when they release their major version.  But they also maintain
> their own patches, and release their own updates, which slightly makes up for
> it.  So RHEL6 will have whatever PHP that was around, then, which I hope is
> PHP 5.3 (I don't have any RHEL6 servers yet).  So RHEL6 will always be
> PHP5.3.x based.
>
>   But the update pipeline is still a few months, so it is important that each
> release is a good release.  Plus, don't worry about the Non-Updating ISP.
> That is less of an issue that it once was.
>

> Tom

Quite a few Australian hosts are on 5.2. One host that a client uses
runs off of H-Sphere (last release was on the 25th of May), where PHP
was upgraded to 5.2.17. Another host that I talked to had no ETA on when
they'd upgrade to 5.3.

>From what I've heard, part of the slow uptake is because a lot of
hosting companies run FreeBSD, and they can't upgrade to 5.3 unless they
either drop support for Zend Optimizer, or swap to a different platform.

Cheers,
David