Pierre Joye wrote:
On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Lester Caine<les...@lsces.co.uk>  wrote:
<snip>

Once again this is totally off base. We are not discussing anything
proposed or adopted by the FIG group but how php.net can better
cooperate with this group. I urge you to stay on topic and move any
other topics to the right place.

Actually the question is perfectly valid ... why do we standardise on using TAB in the core code, but then use spaces in the php files? It would seem that FIG group standards have been adopted in some areas of PHP when the real standard is something different? I've just realised why I have been having problems with some area which USED to use the TAB standard but which have been switched to 'spaces' instead! So what IS the standard for file style in core code files? While ignoring white space on comparisons does work, it also results in problems when trying to commit changes to files which are using different white space standards.

OK - scanning a few more files it would seem that spaces are an exception (fetch.php for example), and I've found the guideline calling for tab rather than spaces, but does that guideline apply transparently to .php files as well? Certainly .phpt files are consistently tabbed.

It's not the only difference that FIG are pushing which is opposite to the style standards on the core code, so perhaps we should be lobbying them to come in line with the documented standards?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL