Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
On 12/16/2012 12:27 PM, Lester Caine wrote:
Anthony Ferrara wrote:
can we please keep superfluous discussions like coding standards
off-list? I
have no issue with representation of fig discussion, but whitespace
discussions
have no place on this list...

The standards being dictated by FIG are at odds with those adopted here
for many years? So should we be asking them to change the standard to
comply with already documented standards, or alternatively should we be
bowing to their proposals and rewriting the core standards? So the
discussion should be "Do we accept that they are a legitimate standards
authority?" or simply ask them to indicate that they ARE at odds with
the existing adopted standards?

Lester, please stop arguing every point here. Especially really silly
stuff like this. These are not even the same languages. The main core
coding standards are all about C-specific things like freeing memory,
zero-terminated strings, never using strncat, macro usage, preprocessor
usage, internal naming, C-commenting, K&R style stuff, testing, folding,
and yes there is a single line about tabs vs. spaces which is the one
thing you zeroed in on and could possibly apply to both C code and PHP
code, but the fact is that the core coding standards have nothing to do
with user-space PHP coding standards and were written specifically to
apply to the PHP core code written in C.

Personally I use the same editor settings to edit C/C++ as I do PHP, Javascript and the like. I have always worked that way and following the same rules on PHP files as C/C++ files just made perfect sense. Having used that style for many year prior to even using PHP. Now some third party is proposing that THEIR view of the world is the one everybody should follow? The core project has always been flexible on accepting different views of things? If that is about to change surely there should be some statement as to whether that view is about to change? PHP FIG is being pushed more and more as THE standard, but without any legitimacy? Certainly projects are changing coding styles to comply without any real debate on whether their 'rules' are generally acceptable? There is nothing wrong with what I view as the current standard being used by the core project and I see no reason to change from that ... there is certainly no 'alternative' standard documented by the core project?

The call was whether there should be a representative on their 'team', but surely the debate should be about if it is the appropriate forum to decide standards that apply to the whole PHP infrastructure? i.e. does the standards being proposed there get endorsement from the core project? Does a representative from this project give that one 'official legitimacy' ?

One gets the impression that it's all too late, so from the other side, should all of the core files be changed to follow the new de-facto standard? And YES I classify using different white space standards for different file formats as more of a problem! Writing files in one format which are then used to create files for a different format is a recipe for confusion? It's bad enough trying to get EOL right between OS's without adding 'what tab standard are you using' :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL