On 12/16/2012 12:27 PM, Lester Caine wrote:
> Anthony Ferrara wrote:
>> can we please keep superfluous discussions like coding standards
>> off-list? I
>> have no issue with representation of fig discussion, but whitespace
>> discussions
>> have no place on this list...
>
> The standards being dictated by FIG are at odds with those adopted here
> for many years? So should we be asking them to change the standard to
> comply with already documented standards, or alternatively should we be
> bowing to their proposals and rewriting the core standards? So the
> discussion should be "Do we accept that they are a legitimate standards
> authority?" or simply ask them to indicate that they ARE at odds with
> the existing adopted standards?

Lester, please stop arguing every point here. Especially really silly
stuff like this. These are not even the same languages. The main core
coding standards are all about C-specific things like freeing memory,
zero-terminated strings, never using strncat, macro usage, preprocessor
usage, internal naming, C-commenting, K&R style stuff, testing, folding,
and yes there is a single line about tabs vs. spaces which is the one
thing you zeroed in on and could possibly apply to both C code and PHP
code, but the fact is that the core coding standards have nothing to do
with user-space PHP coding standards and were written specifically to
apply to the PHP core code written in C.

-Rasmus