Hi!

> Steering things back to the original topic, my objections to collaboration
> with FIG seem to be pretty much centered around their edictal approach to
> userland style guidelines and how our involvement could be construed as an
> endorsement of said style.  If they would agree to make some modifications
> to this approach, I'd probably be able to withdraw my objection entirely.

Any standards group would have "edictal" approach. That's the point of
standard - it prescribes a way of doing something. You may follow it or
not, but if it doesn't do that it's not a standard.
Now, I do not know if such standards will be successful in PHP world.
But I think it's a good idea to try and see if people adopt it. Probably
some things should have some standards - even if just to describe some
common things - it's much easier to say "we follow standard X" than to
have 10-page description of the coding style and trying to figure out if
it's the same as another 10-page description or not.

As for having php.net representative, I'm not sure if it is needed since
I'm not sure what is the purpose of it. If it's just "having a vote", I
don't think it makes a lot of sense - php.net is not a PHP framework and
does not represent any frameworks, and is to serve any of them and all
of them and all non-framework developers equally. If it's to provide
some expertise or answers to core/internals question, this can be done
by anybody on the list without designating any special person. If it
would serve some other purpose, I think additional explanation is needed.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/