Terence Copestake wrote:
There's a conflict between people who want to keep PHP
simple and accessible and people who want to make PHP into a professional
programming tool/environment, complete with all bells and whistles.

You see that is part of the problem here. What proportion of the internet is powered by the current and older versions of PHP? What is 'so wrong' that it's not already a 'professional tool'? I've been using PHP since just before PHP5 was finalised and I don't find anything wrong with the code I produce using it, and I am making 'professional' websites and services for 'professionals'.

OK - perhaps I am an 'old timer' stuck in my ways, but programming used to be fun ... nowadays it's a chore trying to re-write perfectly functional code so that it jumps through the hoops of what someone else thinks is 'professional' :(

Yes a 'classic' PHP would be nice, rolling back before 'e_strict' and then I could get back to creating new code rather than fire fighting old stuff.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL