A forum is merely a medium, and even if the community would be able to
moderate message, I still foresee a problem.

As long as the community remains hostile to newcomers, moderation
would be hostile as well. Take for example the situation on Stack
Overflow's PHP tag. Hardened by a tidal wave of crap content, PHP high
rep users (a.k.a. "The Moderators"), aggressively close and delete bad
content, often without giving OP indication of his wrongdoing,
sometimes via automated comments.

It's not their (ours, I'm part of it) fault, that's a natural process
that happens when too much low content material arrives at a
moderator's doorstep.

However, the problem in my eyes remains the lack of proper leadership
and vision. Even open source projects need a team head and/or a
leader, you know. Even mailing lists needs to have an *active*
moderator, that's capable of making the cool, hard decisions without
pushing his own agendas. As long as internals don't have any of those
(You may say you have them, I don't see it in practice, sorry. A
moderator and a leader needs to show presence and authority).

I'm mostly a lurker, reading around whenever possible, rarely
answering. However, you're really off-track here with trying to come
up with technical solutions such as a new medium for internals, or
some sort of system. The community itself needs to change. If it
doesn't do that, nothing will ever change, regardless of how you
change your color scheme.