On 09/11/2013 05:34 PM, Florin Patan wrote:
> - lack of a clear roadmap: as I said earlier, can someone really tell
> what's in the next two versions of php from now

That's never going to happen. We don't have paid developers that we can
assign tasks to. We have volunteers who work on things they need or find
fun to work on. We can't possibly provide a solid road map two (I assume
you mean major) versions out.

The process is clearly described here:

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/releaseprocess

When it comes time to do the next release we look at the state of the
various projects/rfcs and we, led by the released manager, decide which
features are far enough along to go into that release. Saying that a
certain feature will be in a release 2 years from now without knowing
whether the person championing it will still be around just isn't
realistic. Plus interesting ideas come up all the time, and a solid
2-year road map would mean there would be at least a 2-year delay on
anything new.

We do have a fuzzy road map in the form of the set of RFCs on the wiki.
A subset of those are likely to be in the next release. And to influence
that, instead of writing lots of long email threads on internals,
contact the author of the RFC you are interested in and ask them if they
need help with anything.

And yes, even very complete RFCs may still get shot down for a number of
different reasons. PHP is quite mature, and major new features are going
to face a lot of friction. This is not a bad thing. I often wish that
some of the things I put in years ago had had a bit more friction. But
there was nobody around to provide that friction. Now we have the luxury
of a lot of experienced people with a wealth of ideas and opinions to
provide this friction.

-Rasmus