Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
That's never going to happen. We don't have paid developers that we can
assign tasks to. We have volunteers who work on things they need or find
fun to work on. We can't possibly provide a solid road map two (I assume
you mean major) versions out.

The conflict here is the modern plan to allow major version updates a lot more often than in the past. On one hand I can understand that people get frustrated that things are not changing quick enough but similarly there are those of us who prefer stability over flashy new 'features'. I know I keep banging on about 'PHP6', but surely it is now time to nail down the PHP5 developments and start with a clean sheet of paper for PHP6? That I feel would make many of us happy and alleviate a lot of the current animosity? Alright we can simply stop at what I will call a minor version bump ... PHP5.4 ... but there is not enough support for a stable minor version. These major/minor updates are simply happening too often for some of us to cope with. Certainly the re-instigation of many features which were turned down in the past would suggest that a second stream would make sense?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL