I want to point out that neither options (6 nor 7) break the our
convention.  PHP 6 was a live project that was worked on by many people,
and known as such by many many more;  Even though it never reached GA –
there was definitely software named PHP 6.  Whether reusing that version
number for something completely different several years later constitutes
breaking the current convention or applying it to reality it is open for
interpretation.  I also suggest we don’t go in the direction of the 2/3
interpretation – as I pointed out in the past this places undue power in
the hands of the RFC author and his interpretation of the voting RFC (which
absolutely needs to be amended to fix that).  That’s yet another reason on
why the vote should be between 6 or 7 so that problem goes away completely
– it becomes a clear choice that will have result in a clear cut decision.

If we keep it as a ‘PHP 6 or nada’ there’s a fair chance I’ll write an
alternative RFC, most probably not a ‘7 or nada’ but the much more fair ‘6
or 7’ RFC.  From the beginning, people who believed there was a problem
with using PHP 6 said we should skip a version, and not move to 6.1 or
change our versioning scheme.  It was only those who opposed it (i.e. those
who believed we should go with 6) that brought up alternative ideas – but
really wanted to stick with 6.  Judging from what you said, if you had 3
options, 6, 7 or change_versioning_scheme, you’d pick the first option, not
the last.  From the discussion we had on internals – nobody’s first choice
was that change_versioning_scheme option, it was either 6 or 7, stick or
skip.  That’s why it makes absolute sense to have these as the two options
available for voting.

If 7 gets chosen and you end up feeling that it’s so horrendous we need to
change our entire versioning scheme, you’d of course have the option of
proposing another versioning scheme and convince people to vote for it…
But right now, you’re adding options which are both completely outside the
realm of our versioning scheme, AND aren’t what you’d vote for anyway –
just to avoid having the real other option that’s on the table be a valid
choice for voting.

I still absolutely think we should bury this until later in the project’s
lifecycle as our energy **right now** is probably much better spent
elsewhere.

Zeev