> On 22 ביול 2014, at 19:25, Rowan Collins <rowan.coll...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Zeev Suraski wrote (on 22/07/2014):
>> I think the way it's laid out right now makes sense.  Let's not try to
>> sweep this under the carpet - we two mutually exclusive options and we
>> need to decide between them.
>
> How is laying out the arguments more clearly "sweeping it under the carpet"?

If I understood you correctly you seem to believe that we should aim
for consensus when it's pretty clear there isn't going to be one.  I
can't see how shuffling the points around under topics will somehow
help us create such consensus.  Knowing many of the people in the two
'camps', I know that's not going to happen.

I also don't think it's going to make it any clearer.  In fact I think
that putting these arguments into topics that go back and forth
arguing for 6 and 7 will actually make it a lot messier.  It's not as
if you can buy into one argument for 7 and then another one for 6 -
voters need to make a choice between the two options.

I think people should read one case, then the other, and see which one
they like better as a whole, as opposed to a debate-style approach
where each topic is discussed separately.

> The *outcomes* may be mutually exclusive, but the *discussion* is about
> various issues, and I don't think the current RFC does a good job of
> summarising those.

If you think there's missing or superfluous content in either cases I
think we'd all appreciate any suggestions you may have.  I don't think
that changing format while keeping the content will change the job the
RFC does at summarizing the issues.

Also, judging by the core turnout a couple of days ago I think it's
clear most people are ready to vote on this.  In about 15 hrs it had
more votes that some other RFCs don't have after a week.

Zeev