On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Andrea Faulds <a...@ajf.me> wrote:

> On 22 Jul 2014, at 15:12, Jonny Stirling <phoe...@jonstirling.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > Or, (maybe this is controversial in itself), drop the entire thing.
> >
> > Until there is in fact, a next major version, what its name will be is
> surely moot, and until there is a GA release (or at the earliest alphas /
> beta test releases), there should be no such thing as a versioned /
> numbered release.
> >
> > Assuming the above, there is no need to discuss / vote on this now, but
> in 1-3 years or so (depending on who you listen to ;)), and in that time
> frame, shouldn't it simply remain as PHP.next (or some random codename /
> whatever).
>
> There is a good reason to do this now: to avoid having to bikeshed about
> it later.
>
> --
> Andrea Faulds
> http://ajf.me/

That's not a good reason, and it doesn't avoid any such thing anyway I'm
afraid.

PHP6 / 7 / whatever, does not exist, and will not exist (like I said) until
official releases as the next major version are put out. Tis a pretty
simple solution for a problem that does not actually exist in the present.