On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 5:00 PM, François Laupretre <franc...@php.net>
wrote:

> Le 12/01/2016 15:52, Dan Ackroyd a écrit :
>
>> François Laupretre wrote:
>>
>> I would like the process to be amended to disable posting
>>> opinions/discussions about an RFC while the vote is open,
>>> considering there was enough time for that during the
>>> discussion phase.
>>>

>> This is not a good idea.
>>
>> That won't actually make people discuss a proposal during the discussions
>> phase.
>>
>> Instead people will be voting with the conversation about the proposal
>> not being complete.
>>
>> And then we'll be stuck with bad decisions.
>>

> Well, it was just a suggestion. What I want to avoid is people jumping in
> when vote starts and asking for fundamental changes. Each time it happened
> to me, I had to stop the vote, modify the RFC, and restart the whole
> process. This also caused a pair of RFC not to be included in PHP 7. Some
> of them are even abandoned because I am quite tired of such behaviors.
>
> I'm OK with the discussion *going on* during the vote but I'm looking for
> a solution to a real problem.

yeah, that(discussion only seems to happen after introducing the voting
phase) is frustrating for the rfc author, but that is the last phase where
complaints can be voiced and most people have a tendency to defer stuff
until the last minute, that sucks, but not specific to our project, and
don't know what can we do about it.
some of those last minute feedback are actually useful, so if we are
looking for the best solution it i better to have those concerns to be
raised and heard even if late than ignored and voted on a flawed proposal.
I think one possible countermeasure can be to start the voting as soon as
the discussion dies down (while still keeping the minimal discussion
period) instead of waiting for more feedback arbitrarly and getting
frustrated that it only comes after one puts the rfc up for votes.

--
Ferenc Kovács
@Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu