On 2005-03-25, Nikolai Prokoschenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> However, after these have been renamed, I'm unable to use the default
> configuration files, I have to rename de.defstyle* to xftde.defstyle as
> well. Is there any way to fix this?

The idea is that you need separate style files for different drawing
engines.

> PS: Tuomo, you are writing in the FAQ:
>
> ---
> 2.10  Does Ion support anti-aliased fonts/Xft?
>
> No. Anti-aliasing is extremely ugly and the default drawing engine will
> not support such a thing. If you want your fonts dragged through mud, you
> will have to write an additional drawing engine.
> ---
>
> Xft is generally a good thing, 

No. Plain old X routines are more than enough, if someone just bothered
to fix their UTF-8 handling. (It's just code in Xlib that doesn't handle
it properly, nothing is inherently broken.) Hmmm... actually, now that
I think of it, I think I infact got a message few months ago suggesting 
that it might have been fixed, but I never got around to trying.

Antialias support useless, and all this subpixel stuff is self-defeating
bullshit too. The only way screens can convey that information in a non-ugly
manner is for the resolution to be so big that you can't pinpoint individual
pixels without a magnifier, and this defeats the purpose of these ugly
kludges.

> So I really hope the xftde gets official support ;)

"Official support" is euphemism for "Tuomo maintains the code", which is
not going to happen.

-- 
Tuomo

Reply via email to