[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >This is especially important if the implementation should keep track of
> >flow labels across reboots.  I see no good way of doing this except
> >writing the labels in some kind persistent storage.  And consider
> >operating system crashes etc. where this may not be possible.  The only
> >sane way seems to be to use random flow labels (or at least randomize the
> >point where to begin using flow labels after a reboot); there are no
> >problems if one does not have too high expectations of the lifetime of the
> >uniqueness.
>
>         i completely agree with this statement.  can't always reliably keep
>         flow label value into persistent store, so something like "start from
>         random number on reboot, and monotonically increase value" makes
>         more sense.

I don't see that. Transaction processing systems and databases have this
requirement too, and in "normal" crashes they have no problem, because a
transaction ID is always saved in stable storage before it's used. (I agree
that if you do have to restart the allocation process for some reason, a
pseudo-random seed is good.)

But in any case, IMHO we have no business specifying any of this
in a basic protocol spec. As John said, it depends on the application
scenario. I can well imagine a case where an application might want to use
the same flow label for a consecutive flow; there's nothing in the spec
to forbid that, I hope.

  Brian