On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Bob Hinden wrote:
> I think something with similar properties to TCP's initial sequence number
> selection would be about right.  A toaster-class device will have to deal
> with that as well.

Exactly (to the latter sentence).

HOWEVER, note that TCP ISN is not conserved across reboots.  So, in
practise, a toaster-class device deals with it by not dealing with it.

The same would be good for flow labels.

I agree 100% with Rob that we have to justify flow label storage
__really__ hard to make it something that must be conserved across boots.
Actually I don't recall anything in the current IPv4 base TCP/IP
specification which requires storage (apart from addresses etc. which are
a non-issue).