From: Charles E. Perkins [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 2:47 PM
To: Bound, Jim
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Optimistic DAD draft ...

Hello Jim,

"Bound, Jim" wrote:

> Test beds are good.  But no one is going to use it till we make sure
it
> works across many products.

Of course, people in general can't use it until it's productized.
And, productization depends on standardization.  However, I was
responding to your sentence:

> None of us working on this are even clear layer 3 handover will ever
> work?

I am providing the information that it DOES work.  How long it
takes to get to market will depend on things other than whether
the technology is workable.  In fact, the very things you pointed
out.

>                             I would not put my shit on the line for
> anyones implementation of layer 3 such as a soldier or hospital
> emergency rescue team.  Nor for IPv6 at this time.

Well, you could, but without products it would be hard.
But productization and standardization have been hindered
by factors which would not be important for the applications
that you indicated.  On the other hand, it's easier to write
applications for products (vs. custom platforms) because it
is easier to fund because there's more profit in it.

> I would like to see specs for this and agreement on MIPv6 movement. We
> can't even get MIPv6 PS in the IETF.

We are currently busting our tails to respond to Working Group
Last Call comments, and we are down to the end.  You can see
the progress by looking at our page of issues:
    http://www.piuha.net/~jarkko/publications/mipv6/MIPv6-Issues.html

Everyone knows it's been a long and contentious process.
However, pessimism is not justified by current events.

Regards,
Charlie P.