>> I don't get the sense that we have consensus on this, because some
>> people seem to think that scoped addresses are appropriate for use by
>> general-purpose apps.
>>
>> for instance, there's really no way that an application can effectively use
>> a scoped address in a referral to another host, since the app has no idea
>> whether the host that uses the referral has access to the same scope as
>> the party providing the referral.  name-to-address mapping is only one
>> instance of this problem.

>       agreed.  you can't pass around scoped address across nodes (in general)
>       as the view of the scope differs between nodes.  i have clearer idea
>       on link-locals, but i have almost no solutions against site-locals.
>       there are security issues associated with it (attacking other company's
>       inside machine using routing header w/ site-local address, and such...).

A tiny clarification (which is not directly related to the topic): the
attacker can't go inside the other sites using a routing header, as
long as the site border router is fully compliant to section 9 of
draft-ietf-ipngwg-scoping-arch-04.txt.  (Or perhaps you're assuming
the existence of a non-compliant border router.)

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]