Kurtis,

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> a billion /48 prefixes in the global routing table, what do
>> you call this? I call it IPv6 swamp.

> Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:
> It is! No question, but do you want to wait 5+ years?

You are missing the point. If we had a reasonable expectation that a
scalable flat routing protocol would be available in 5 years, I would
buy the argument. But what do we have today? Zero, not even a believable
promise.

This is why I used the term "gambling" before. What you are lobbying for
is to say that it is OK to give away PI and create the IPv6 swamp
because in 5 years we will be able to clean it because by then someone
would have invented The Perfect Routing Protocol (C)(TM).

We are not developing IPv6 to barely match what v4 does with a bigger
address space. We need to make it better. In order to re-create the
swamp you have to show a carrot the size of Texas and so far we've not
even seen a peanut.

Michel.