In your previous mail you wrote:

   > => what I propose is not pure per-process control, it is to put the
   > control in the context of processes. It gives immediatly a per-process
   > control but with a way to manage the context from applications, it gives
   > a per-socket control too.

   I didn't understand how the per-process context also
   gives you per-socket control.

=> this is like playing with UIDs, which are in the context of the application
and can be set by set[e]uid() & co, to permit or deny access to privileged
ports. My idea is to tune the context before performing some operations
and to reset it after to its previous setup.

   Are you considering having
   setsockopts in addition to per-process context controls?

=> we can get both or even implement the per-process context via
setsockopts.

   Or are you arguing that the setsockopt type of control
   is not necessary?

=> they are not necessary when a more general/flexible type
of control is available and I argue this is the case for
the process context stuff.

Thanks

[EMAIL PROTECTED]