On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 07:38, Mark Smith wrote:

> Are you able to put a rough date of manufacture on those cards/chipsets
> ? I've recently done a bit of looking into the chips on the old NE2K
> style cards (the NatSemi NS8390D chipset), and even they have a
> multicast filtering capability. I first encountered them on NICs in 1992
> (if not earlier, maybe 1990 or so), so I'm curious how much earlier
> before that multicast was implemented the way you have stated.

I think it's far more likely that Alexandru is running into broken
drivers and/or bridges.

I've seen:
 1) device driver bugs.  either they fail to program the multicast filter
or they try and get it wrong.  A common multicast filter is a bit vector with
associated hash function.   (if filter[hash(dst)] is set, receive packet).  If
the driver miscomputes the hash function, bits don't move.

Many ethernet chipsets have a "receive all multicasts" bit, which at least
saves you from the full pain of promiscuous mode.

 2) firmware bugs in 802.11 access points.  (the vendor had a firmware
upgrade available fixing it by the time I noticed the problem).

                                                - Bill