>From: Ralph Droms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: 2006/08/23 Wed AM 05:43:09 CDT
>To: "<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Cc: "Durand, Alain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Syam Madanapalli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        IETF IPv6 Mailing List <ipv6@ietf.org>
>Subject: Re: Prefix Delegation using ICMPv6

>Tim - I don't think I made my point clear.  SLAAC, DHCP and manual
>addressing are all very different ways to accomplish the same result,
>stemming from very different requirements:
>
>SLAAC - all nodes on a link share the same prefixes; advertising
>         device sends a single message with configuration information
>for
>         all nodes; protocol communications are essentially one way
>         (advertiser->node); network operations don't explicitly control
>         specific addresses assigned to each node
>DHCP -  network operations communicates one-to-one and interactively
>         with each node; network operations has information about
>         addresses assigned to each node
>manual- no interaction with network operations; node administrator
>chooses
>         addresses assigned to node

Hi Ralph, your point is very clear, and I definitely agree with what you are
saying. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

My original related point was/is to address the fact THAT there is historical
precedent for doing something (in my example, IPv6 node addressing) in >1 IETF
standardized way, not WHY there is (also that it is good that there is).

Using similar logic I/we truly would like to have the technical merits of our
proposal considered by this body.

>Prefix delegation has a pretty common set of requirements, based on
>RFC 3769.

Using RFC 3769 as our guide, we seek to offer a PD mechanism (which happens to
use ICMPv6).

>I didn't see in the ICMP PD draft (which I will reread more carefully as soon
>as I recover from being away from my office for a week)

I myself am getting over a virtual lack of sleep, so I can sympathize with the
need for recovery time! :)

>any significant differentiation in requirements on the scale of those among
>SLAAC, DHCP and manual address configuration.

I'm not sure there is significant differentiation in requirements, especially
along those scales. Given the way I read RFC 3769 however, I'm thinking there
might not need to be (rather that whatever IPv6 PD mechanism that is proposed
meets the requirements).

Tim
Rom 8:28