manual- no interaction with network operations; node administrator chooses
        addresses assigned to node

Prefix delegation has a pretty common set of requirements, based on RFC 3769. I didn't see in the ICMP PD draft (which I will reread more carefully as soon as I recover from being away from my office for a week) any significant differentiation in requirements on the scale of those among SLAAC, DHCP and manual address configuration.

On Aug 23, 2006, at 2:44 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

From: Ralph Droms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 2006/08/22 Tue PM 11:04:04 CDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: "Durand, Alain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Syam Madanapalli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        IETF IPv6 Mailing List <ipv6@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Prefix Delegation using ICMPv6

Tim - SLAAC and DHCPv6 are fundamentally different ways to assign
addresses.

Ralph thanks, I'm glad you (realize that) see my point. There is more than one IETF standardized way to do host addressing. Do you believe it is good that more than one IETF standardized way to do host addressing exists?

Don't forget manual assignment, as well.  DHCPv6 for
other information (RFC 3736) has nothing to do with addressing.

Not sure why you mention manual assignment, as the point was about IETF standardized ways to do host addressing. Regarding RFC 3736, you are correct (good catch).

The point that there is ALREADY at least one such case (node addressing) for which there is more than one standardized IETF way is irrefutable.

Given that there is a historical precedent for being able to do something via more than one standardized IETF way, I'd suggest that IPv6 PD is another such case where such an approach is warranted.

I would be interested in seeing more detail about specific topologies
and scenarios in which DHCPv6 PD is inadequate.**

I'd like to repeat my/our contention that ICMPv6 PD is not meant to replace DHCPv6 PD. The two are not mutually exclusive.

In some cases, customers may wish to have an alternative to the existing mechanism (WHY they wish to have it is a separate question, THAT they do is an issue which helped inform the writing of our draft).

Customer requirements are often what drive innovation (sometimes the other way around). Over the past few years, more customers have expressed interest in/requirement for an alternative to DHCPv6 PD. Our draft based upon ICMPv6 is one such proposed solution.

BTW, what would be your burden of proof in what you are asking?** I'd not want to be chasing my technical tail. =^)

All I've seen in a quick read of your doc

As I value your technical input, I'd ask you to read the doc in its entirety and provide technical feedback.

is the argument that some hosts may not implement >DHCPv6, so there is a need for some way to accomplish >PD without DHCPv6. But I think Alain refuted that argument

Ralph, I think the point was not refuted.

As I'd mentioned, our approach is based upon ND, which is at least virtually ubiquitous in IPv6 implementations, if not entirely so.

by pointing out that any new PD protocol would also, by definition, not be
implemented already in any hosts, so the advantage is minimal.

ICMPv6 PD isn't necessarily as new as might be implied. Please see the draft to understand the modifications to RS and RA messages we propose.

Further I would contend that there isn't as wide an install base for DHCPv6 PD as might be implied here.

Even further, even if there was it would still not preclude the presence of another IPv6 PD mechanism.

We had a long discussion about PD alternatives some time before the
DHCPv6 PD RFC was published.

I believe there was, yes.

The consensus was, at that time, that the protocol >messages and amount of "work" required for PD was >pretty much the same regardless of how the messages >are carried (DHCP, ICMP, etc.),

I would tend to agree.

and there was also consensus that PD seemed a logical extension of the >address assignment in DHCP, so that consensus was the motivation for DHCPv6 PD.

Are you arguing that said consensus from 2003 (when 3633 was published) ends the debate on IPv6 PD?

I respect the fact that you are a co-author of both the DHCPv6 PD spec (RFC 3633), and IPv6 PD requirements spec (RFC 3769).

If only DHCPv6 PD is to be standardized by the IETF, please explain why RFC 3769 was ever written.

To me, implicit in the publication of 3769 is the notion that ANY mechanism that purports to do IPv6 PD needs to meet said requirements. We believe our mechanism both does that, and satisfies many customer requirements as well.

If consideration of IETF standardization for alternate IPv6 PD mechanisms is not allowed (including technical debate of our draft), I'd respectfully ask you to tell me why 3769 was written in the first place.

Best Regards,

Tim
Rom 8:28

- Ralph