To: "Basavaraj Patil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <ipv6@ietf.org>; "ext Pars MUTAF" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 5:25 PM
Subject: Re: Proposal to change aspects of Neighbor Discovery

Basavaraj Patil wrote:

Ignoring cellular hosts for a moment, how are periodic RAs useful for any
host? RAs can be used as a means for detecting network attachment status or to detect movement (prefix change). In the case of a stationary host (as an
example), periodic RAs really are of no benefit to the host (IMO).

A design principle for many Internet protocols is known as "soft state".
I wonder if that might have something to do with the periodic RAs ;-)

If the hosts would keep the information received until it being explicitly invalidated we would probably end up with a more complex and/or more fragile approach to handle the stale state. Hence the soft state approach.

   Erik