Ole Troan writes:
> > I don't know of any cases where omitting ND for IPv6 addresses makes
> > much sense.
>
> OK, so at least we've clarified that we're in disagreement. I don't see
> support in the specs for doing address resolution on links without
> link-layer addresses. what would the purpose be in doing address
> resolution on a link without link-layer addresses?

Generating NS and processing NA drives the state machine associated
with neighbor cache entries.

> other ND functions, of course they should be supported.

I don't see how you get there at all.  You need to be doing
solicitations and advertisements in order to do unreachability
detection and those "other ND functions," don't you?

If you're going to somehow omit ND for address resolution, but use it
for everything else, what exactly does that look like on the wire, and
what support in the existing RFC is there for this sort of operation?

I know what the current RFC suggests -- that is, that we send all of
the usual messages based on neighbor cache entry state (just as with
broadcast-type networks), but that the SLLA/TLLA option isn't used on
any messages because the peers are point-to-point.  It's the same
protocol -- one option less.

What alternative usage are you suggesting?  At a guess, the system
that would send NS because it lacks a neighbor cache entry instead
simply creates the entry and "jumps" straight to REACHABLE state
because it already "knows" where the peer is located.  Is that it?
What other protocol changes are required in order to make ND-for-
everything-but-address-resolution mode work?