> Brian D,
>
> You seem to be assuming that PI will be the dominant mode.

Not at all. I am assuming that prefixes in the DFZ won't be deaggregated
to any significant degree. All PA are aggregated, in theory at least,
under PI prefixes.

I am in fact only assuming PI prefixes as numerous as ASNs.
And that more multihoming for true "end-users" will be enabled by
the ability to have duplicative PA blocks big enough to cover end sites
N times over.

I am assuming that the *vast* majority of networks will have PA native,
or ULA-* native and 1:1 NAT onto PA, or "unannounced" PI internally
with 1:1 NAT facing multiple upstream PA blocks.

> This seems very unlikely, since the vast majority of users
> (i.e. SOHO) have no interest in what their IP address is and
> no motivation to pay extra for PI.

(I don't disagree on the latter, making this moot. And you mis-speak
for me on what I assume.)

> We have no possible
> difficulty in supporting a few million PI prefixes in the
> /48 or /56 world currently planned (apart from BGP4 blowing
> up, of course, but that's being discussed elsewhere).

I disagree strongly.

Yes, I'm aware, and I'm participating in those discussions.

The size of the autoconf prefix is out of scope for *those* venues.

However, it *directly* impacts assignments in those areas.

Which is why I raised the question, here.

Whether autoconf uses /64 or /68 or /80, has direct implications on
the minimum prefix assignable to an end-user should be, and what the
typical minimum minimum PI block size should be.

A "few million" PI prefixes is not actually something we should plan for,
even if it fits into the range of space between /3 and /32 (as in,
2000::/3, and /32 LIR PI assignments.)

Here's why:

On the biggest iron currently deployed in most networks, the size
of the DFZ in IPv6 that can *reasonably* supported has an upper bound
dictated by deployed TCAM size and per-prefix TCAM allocation needed.

These days, for example, on an IPv6-*only* Cisco 7600 with 3BXL, will
only hold a theoretical maximum of 119,000 prefixes. Bigger iron may
support double that, but again, only as IPv6-ONLY. When you add IPv4
onto the same platform, the huge IPv4 DFZ  eats most of the capacity
for IPv6 prefixes. Most providers will need to have dual-stack for
a considerable period of time (3-5 years minimum, IMHO.)

And on that basis, how many end-user assignments fit into PI prefixes
which are sized sufficiently to grow vertically inside reserved space,
rather than multiply and bloat the DFZ, is very important.

Too big an end assignment, and it results in a squeeze play, where either
too few PI blocks can be reserved to go around (fairly), or too many small
PI blocks end up being used.

Adding 16 more bits to the range between PI block size and end-user
assignment prefix length, and the squeeze effect is relaxed considerably.

Making really big assignments (say /20 to /42) to handle end-assignments
of /80, gives a much longer life span to each PI block, and keeps the
PI per ASN down to a nice low value of "1".

Brian Dickson