Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
[..]

> Definitely on my "own" network. That's what I was alluding to
> previously, when I said that not all uses of IPv6 are for ISP networks,
> and that therefore the tool kit available should not be aimed
> exclusively to ISP-relevant tools.

That is exactly why I asked :)
It narrows down the problem space a lot!

>> If your own, then the security question becomes lighter as a
>> special tag
>> could be added to packets whereby routers know that these
>> packets should
>> be allowed to do these tricks, otherwise it won't work as you
>> don't own
>> those people's routers.
>
> In principle, I agree with you perhaps. In practice, these RH0 nodes are
> already out there.

For this to be possible though, vendors will have to have RH0
implemented, but disabled per default. As you configure all these nodes
(and I expect only the routers to be affected, not endhosts), these
should provide a simple toggle for turning this behavior on.

And I guess that we have made you, and quite some other people, totally
happy. You will of course want to do something like a filter on your
borders rejecting RH0 based packets there, or some kind of ignoring stance.

Arnaud Ebalard wrote:
[..]
> I understand the interest and like the boomerang traceroute too but
> i'm surprised network operators do not have better tools than that
> to debug and monitor things.

And RH0 is not meant for this purpose IMHO.

Something which most likely can achieve the desired effect is:
http://www.ripe.net/ripe/maillists/archives/db-wg/2007/msg00040.html

Especially as those are ratelimmited and controlled by the NOC that
operates that service, which also means you can actually contact them
when there is such a problem.

Are there any people here who think that is a good idea, as there where
no bad comments, I could try and push it forward in RIPE so that we have
a standardized, easy-to-find way of finding these resources.

Greets,
 Jeroen