From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Manfredi, Albert E
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 8:30 PM
To: Brian E Carpenter
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: RE: Updates to Node Requirements-bis

Typically, the NIST requirements seem more stringent. My only point is
that if any explanation for differences is deemed desirable, I would
expect that DISA or NIST be the ones who explain why these differences
were introduced. I think we agree. The IETF can only guess at reasons.

> > Same applies to IKEv2. The IETF does not mandate its use, while
NIST
> > does.
>
> See RFC 4301 section 3.2 *last* paragraph. The problem is that
> the real world is slow to move to IKEv2. It's important to describe
> what's real, I think. The NIST requirement is "interesting" given
> the state of products.

I-D 4294-bis says in Section 9.4:

   An implementation MUST support the manual configuration of the
   security key and SPI.  The SPI configuration is needed in order to
   delineate between multiple keys.

   Key management SHOULD be supported.  Examples of key management
   systems include IKEv2 [RFC4306] and Kerberos; S/MIME and TLS include
   key management functions.

   Where key refresh, anti-replay features of AH and ESP, or on-demand
   creation of Security Associations (SAs) is required, automated
keying
   MUST be supported.

So automatic key exchange is not considered mandatory by the IETF in
all
cases, but it is mandatory in the NIST Profile. At least, that's how I
read that.

> > My assumption is that this rationale, protection
> > of routing
> > protocols, is why now NIST is mandating that routers
> > support ESP, now
> > that AH has been demoted to a MAY. A brief clarification would be
> > welcome.
>
> Would you want to ship a router that couldn't protect the
> network layer?

Depends what you mean. A router located in a non-secure space can be
expected to protect the way it populates its routing tables. That's
about it, though. AH seemed a good way to do that, but ESP, for the
purpose of protecting RIPng or OSPFv3 messages, should be fine too, I
think.

Expecting more than that seems like wishful thinking, IF the routers
are
in non-secure spaces. Encypting spoofed messages coming from non-secure
hosts does not make these any more secure. What would make these more
secure is ESP host-to-host, or ESP tunneled between security gateways.

> > Another mandate in the NIST IPv6 Profile is that both
> > tunneling and dual
> > stack mechanisms be supported in Government networks.

> That's an operational issue, not a node requirement. Would you want
> to ship a stack that could support a dual stack but not use it
> to tunnel?

Yes. If I provide a special-purpose network that provides dual-stack,
why should I have the added burden of supporting tunneling that I will
never use? My preferred approach is to not require features that won't
be used, but allow them to be added if necessary, in the future. This
saves development time and testing efforts.

Bert